The Department „Regulation in Infection Biology“
headed by Max Planck Director Prof. Emmanuelle Charpentier is seeking a
for a full-time employment (39 hours/week) of initially 2 years.
- Bioinformatics projects related to RNA-seq analysis for identifying and analyzing novel regulatory RNAs and proteins, and analyze gene expression profiling in infectious processes by bacterial pathogens
- To translate the extensive datasets into knowledge, the candidate will apply the latest existing analysis tools from the RNA-seq field and will be encouraged to search and/or develop new programs and design her/his own project
- The candidate will be in constant connection with microbiology and infection biology-related questions. In silico findings will be verified in functional experiments, thus leading to translation of the bio-informatics data into novel biological findings
- Assistance of other projects in the department with bioinformatics and statistics
- Very good knowledge and understanding of statistics
- Knowledge of sequence analysis toolbox (fastQC, Cutadapt, STAR, DESeq2…)
- Linux command line
- Python and R programming
- Automatic graph generation (R, python)
- Excellent English communication skills (written and spoken)
- Familiar with gene expression data (preferably RNA-Seq and protein data) analysis
- Proficiency in major programming language and in handling large datasets
- Ideally some experience in biology related questions
- Ability to work independently and as part of an international team, lead bioinformatics projects related to the offered topics and supervise junior scientists of the Department
- The candidate must have a profound interest in all research topics of the Department
- Experience abroad is is considered as an advantage
- We expect a person who is self-motivated and enthusiastic to work in a competitive, dynamic, stimulating and interacting international scientific environment focusing on basic biological research
- Experience with analysis of RNA sequencing from bacteria will be considered an advantage
According to the training, qualifications and professional experience, the remuneration can be up to EG 13 TVöD. The benefits correspond to the regulations of the public service. The position is available at the earliest possible date.
The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more handicapped individuals and especially encourages them to apply.
Applications will be accepted exclusively via our online application portal and must include a cover letter with a brief outline of motivation and own scientific interests, CV with a list of publications and the names of three referees. If you are interested, please follow the link https://recruitingapp-5133.de.umantis.com/Vacancies/323/Application/New/2?lang=eng and upload your full application in English by June 30, 2016.
Online application portal
While applying for the job please refer to jobvector and use the following reference number: 323
About Max-Planck-Institut für Infektionsbiologie
Infektionskrankheiten sind auch weiterhin Haupttodesursache weltweit. Fast ein Drittel aller durch Infektionskrankheiten verursachten Todesfälle werden von den ''Großen Drei'', AIDS, Malaria und Tuberkulose hervorgerufen. Andererseits treten in jüngster Zeit neue Krankheitserreger in Erscheinung, deren immense soziomedizinische Bedeutung bereits gesichert (z. B.Helicobacter)...More about Max-Planck-Institut für Infektionsbiologie