Who we areAt Roche about 94,000 people in more than 100 countries are doing pioneering work in the healthcare sector. Hand in hand, we have developed into a worldwide leading, research-oriented healthcare group.Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Translational Medicine Leader Oncology in Pharma Research and Early Development (m/f/d)
Job-FactsJob ID: 201903-109207
Job function: Medical Affairs
Location: Germany, Bayern, Bavaria
Job Type: Regular Employee
Firma/Division: Roche Diagnostics GmbH
Who we are and what we do:
Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED) Oncology transforms pioneering scientific discoveries into effective medicines for cancer patients. The Early Clinical Development (ECD) Group is an integral unit within pRED Oncology that leads the successful translation of novel drugs candidate into early clinical testing, by using smart, adaptive trial designs and implementation of precision medicine strategies.
Within this environment we are looking for a Translational Medicine Leader (TML) (m/f/d) who will lead the exploratory medicine strategy of our early oncology drug assets dedicated to bring game changing benefit to our patients.
The job in a nutshell:
You will be responsible for the early clinical development plan (CDP) including Proof of Concept scenarios and fact-based go/no go decisions. This aims to ensure efficient assessment of the clinical candidates by leveraging a deep understanding of the disease biology, using state-of-the-art clinical study designs and providing medical leadership. This position offers the opportunity to collaborate with numerous functions within Roche and with the scientific community to deliver high quality clinical study data within the expected timelines and budget.
Key strategic focus of this position:
Leading the molecule-specific early clinical development strategy that is aligned with the overall pRED and disease area strategy to support building and advancing the oncology portfolio at Roche.
And some further key responsibilities:
- Medical lead and single point of contact for all medical questions related to the exploratory phase of early oncology drug development (incl. Phase 2)
- Lead the Clinical Expert Team (CET) and will represent the CET in the Global Project Team
- Main interface between ECD Oncology and (1) Oncology Discovery, (2) Clinical Operations, and (3) Business, for project-related activities
- Close collaboration with the Biomarker Experimental Medicine Leader to develop and shape biomarker strategies
- Provide leadership and clinic-scientific expertise globally for the therapeutic area, including identification of and participation in new initiatives
- Propose, establish, assess and lead external collaborations to address strategic and tactical needs
- Support target and clinical candidate selection. Furthermore, accountable for the design and the clinic-scientific content of experimental medicine studies to evaluate and validate targets
- Responsible for performance management and personal development upon assuming line management responsibility for clinical scientists and clinical science specialists
Who you are and what we need from you:First of all, you should have a genuine interest in the field of early clinical drug development with a strategic, visionary and entrepreneurial way of thinking. Furthermore, you have the ability to provide leadership for projects in the exploratory development phase performed by matrix teams. This includes ensuring a creative and highly motivated working atmosphere.
- Besides this, you hold an MD with a minimum of 5- years clinical practice experience in Oncology/ Hematology/Immunology. An MD and license to practice medicine is mandatory for this position.
- Furthermore, you ideally have a 3- years plus experience in a pharmaceutical and/or biotech environment
- You have a proven record of scientific achievement with significant experience in drug development documented by presentations and publications in peer reviewed journals
- We can trust in your ability to independently develop the clinical strategy for exploratory drug development
- You have an understanding of contemporary translational research tools, including imaging, biomarkers and an understanding of unmet medical needs in oncology. In this context, you also have the ability to think beyond current paradigms of care.
- You have demonstrated early development expertise in oncology, e.g., as study investigator and/or you have direct experience with early clinical development including protocol development, IND preparation, health authority interactions, etc.
- Analytical thinking and a high level of business awareness is natural to you
- Last but not least you have effective communication and presentation skills with different stakeholders in a matrix setting and the ability to influence others
In principle, this position is also suitable for part-time work.
The preferred location for this position is Penzberg but can be located also in Basel or Zurich. Please indicate in your CV your location of choice.
We look forward receiving your application!
For your application, please keep it simple. We only ask you for an updated CV. All further relevant documents, such as certificates, reference letters etc. will be handled at a later stage.
Whom to contact
E. Hallermayer-Jahreiß +498856/60 19253
For technical questions, you can use our FAQ
Should you have recruiting specific questions on your application or the specific job posting, please contact the responsible recruiter (E. Hallermayer-Jahreiß, +498856/60 19253).
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
Research & Development, Research & Development > Research
+49 (0)8856 60 19253