PhD Position: Directed evolution of antibiotic producers
The Graduate School of Excellence ‘JSMC’ invites applications for a
Doctoral Researcher Position (Ref. No. 120/2016)
to conduct research on the project
Directed evolution of antibiotic producers
Evolvability is an outstanding feature of biological systems. While drug discovery efforts aiming at antibiotics are stalling, directed evolution of biosynthetic clusters can potentially lead to new antimicrobial activities via structural diversification of natural products. We aim to develop a miniaturized system in microchip format to screen millions of bacterial mutants for antibiotic production and novel activities in directed evolution experiments.
More projects details here: www.jsmc.uni-jena.de/phd-program/fellowship-application/vacant-projects/
- a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Natural Sciences. Candidates about to earn their degree are welcome to apply.
- laboratory experience in molecular biology or microbiology desirable
- high motivation and interest to join one of the interdisciplinary research areas of JSMC
- creativity and interest to shape your own thesis project
- an integrative and cooperative personality with enthusiasm for actively participating in the lively JSMC Community
- very good communication skills in English (instruction language at JSMC)
- a highly communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top-level research facilities
- a comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisors
- a top-level PhD training program with courses in state-of-the-art research technologies and soft skills
- Jena – City of Science: a young and lively town with dynamic business activities, successful scientific centers of innovation and a vibrant cultural scene around the famous Friedrich Schiller University
The application procedure takes place exclusively online via the HKI-Online Application Portal:
Please acquaint yourself with the open PhD projects and the application process described on this website. Selected applicants will be invited to the JSMC Recruitment Meeting in Jena, Germany, from 14-15 December 2016. Awarding decisions will be made shortly thereafter, allowing the projects to start immediately.
Application deadline: October 23rd, 2016
While applying for the job please refer to jobvector and use the following reference number: 120/2016
About Jena School for Microbial Communication
The Jena School for Microbial Communication (JSMC) is funded by the German Excellence Initiative . It conceptionally combines different research areas (microbial communities, interactions with plant, animal and human hosts and environmental interactions) to a comprehensive picture of microbial communication (www.jsmc.uni-jena.de). JSMC is an ambitious Graduate School currently hosting over...More about Jena School for Microbial Communication