PhD Student Institute of Human Genetics Uniklinik Köln
The Institute of Human Genetics at the Uniklinik Köln is seeking applications for a full-time
The position is offered by Dr. Sebahattin Cirak (http://humangenetik.uk-koeln.de/research/cirak-lab) from the Institute of Human Genetics Cologne/Germany (Director Prof. Brunhilde Wirth). The principal investigator Dr. Sebahattin Cirak has been awarded an Emmy Noether Excellence Group funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG). The group is highly funded by additional other foundation grants and industrial collaboration. Laboratories are located at the Center for Molecular Medicine (http://www.zmmk.uni-koeln.de). The ZMMK is an interdisciplinary research Institute including all relevant disciplines and latest state of art core facilities. The PhD Student will be member of an international graduate school in the Interdisciplinary Program Molecular Medicine University of Cologne (http://www.zmmk.uni-koeln.de/ipmm/index_eng.html).
Your responsibilities and training will include:
- Working on the aim of the research project is focused on the deciphering of the genetic basis of muscular dystrophies
- Discovery of novel muscular dystrophy-associated genes by latest state of art OMICs techniques
- Next generation data analysis including RNA sequencing and computational analysis of expression profiles and splice modulations
- Proteomics techniques for biomarker discovery and understanding of pathological pathways
- Expression and Characterization of recombinant wild-type and mutant proteins by biophysical methods
- Determination of the exact biochemical function of these proteins and screening for chemical chaperones stabilizing mutant proteins
- Characterization of mouse models to investigate the underlying pathophysiological mechanisms leading to muscular dystrophy
- Working in collaboration with an international team under supervision and leadership of the PI
- Publishing impactful original research papers
- Masters degree or equivalent in natural sciences
- A strong interest in protein biochemistry and/or glycobiology research
- Or a strong interest computational biology including protein modeling and next generation sequencing data analysis
- A solid background in molecular biology is desired and but not obligatory for physics and chemistry candidates
- Candidates with computational and programming skills are preferred
- Candidates coming from chemistry and physics background also are encouraged to apply
- Candidates should be creative and capable of developing a competitive research project while working in collaboration with postdocs and other team members under the supervision of the team leader
Your salary will be based on TV-L.
The Board of Directors of the University Hospital of Cologne places strong emphasis on gender equality and seeks to increase the proportional representation of women in this field. Thus applications from female scientists are welcome; suitably qualified women will be given preferential consideration unless other candidates clearly demonstrate superior qualifications.
We also welcome applications from disabled candidates, who will also be given preferential consideration over other applicants with comparable qualifications.
We prefer online applications, but you also have the opportunity to apply via regular mail quoting the reference number e040-3 until 30th September 2015 to
Institut für Humangenetik
Dr. Sebahattin Cirak
While applying for the job please refer to jobvector and use the following reference number: e040-3
Further information is available on the internet at http://humangenetik.uk-koeln.de/
About Uniklinik Köln
Als modernes Krankenhaus der Maximalversorgung zählen wir zu den führenden Universitätskliniken Deutschlands. Unsere 6.800 Beschäftigten bieten in mehr als 59 leistungsstarken Kliniken, Fachzentren und Instituten eine optimale Patientenversorgung und eine professionelle Aus-, Fort- und Weiterbildung. Mit rund 1.300 Betten sind wir eines der größten...More about Uniklinik Köln