PhD Candidate on Biocatalytic cascade reactions - Germany
Roles and Responsibilities
As an ESR you will work with two supervisors (academic and industrial) on your specific research project. Your PhD degree will be awarded on the basis of successful completion of the research work. The main part of your work will be carried out at TU Braunschweig, and a secondment placement will be continued at industrial institutions in Netherlands and Germany, who are members of the BIOCASCADES network.
You will also be required to participate in the training and workshop organized by the ITN-EID. As a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions fellow, you are also expected to contribute your time in the dissemination of your project’s result through public engagement and other scientific platforms.
Topic: Synthesis of enantiopure 1,2-aminoalcohols from alkenes
This PhD candidate will focus on the identification of suitable enzyme combinations (P450s, lipases, halohydrin dehalogenases) for the synthesis of 1,2-azidoalcohol targets from respective alkenes in combination with a chemical reduction to finally obtain 1,2-aminoalcohols. Thus, the main objective of the project will be the assembly of a new chemo-enzymatic cascade towards 1,2-aminoalcohols. In a secondment to the company Enzymicals, the ESR will further focus on the upscaling of the cascade to produce the respective enantio- and/or diastereomerically pure aminoalcohols at preparative scale.
The ideal candidate
• The applicant should have completed at least four or five years education with a Master’s degree or Diploma from a recognized university in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biotechnology or Biology and should be eligible as graduate student at TU Braunschweig
• The applicant should have research experience in working with enzymes, biocatalysis, protein engineering, structural biology, organic synthesis or a related field. Expertise in molecular biology, organic synthesis and instrumental analytics is welcome.
• The applicant should show interest in conducting a research project independently and should enjoy the work in an international, interdisciplinary environment.
• At the time of recruitment, the applicant must not have resided (or carried out his/her main activity e.g. work, studies, etc.) in Germany, for more than 12 months in the last 3 years immediately prior to the reference recruitment date.
• The applicant should have an excellent command of the English language at a proficient level (spoken and written) and the willingness to learn the local language of the recruiting country.
We emphasize equal opportunities in the biotechnology sector. We support the applications of female candidates in areas where they are underrepresented and encourage female candidates to apply for this program. Also, applications from handicapped candidates are very welcome.
We encourage you to read the recruitment process before applying for this position.
To apply for the position, kindly provide: (i) a letter of motivation AND a 1-page statement of your research interests, relevant skills and experience; (ii) a CV including publication list; and (iii) names and contact details of three referees willing to write confidential letters of recommendation. All materials should be attached as a single PDF file (max. size 4MB). The PDF file name should include your first name and last name.
Send your applications to:
While applying for the job please refer to jobvector and use the following reference number: ESR3
About Ruhr University Bochum
The BIOCASCADES Marie Curie Innovative Training Network for European Industrial Doctorates (ITN-EID) is an interdisciplinary research training network of 7 universities and 5 industrial enterprises from 5 European countries. It is funded under the “Excellent Science” cluster of the EU’s Horizon 2020 program. BIOCASCADES aims to develop the ESRs’ scientific...More about Ruhr University Bochum