The Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at the Uniklinik Köln is seeking applications for a full time
PhD student (f/m)
to be employed under a limited-time contract for 3 years.
A PhD position is open in the Appel laboratory “placental dysfunction” at the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University of Cologne, Germany (starting 01.09.2016). The project is funded by the DFG and its main objective is to investigate the mechanisms of placental damage in maternal obesity. A variety of techniques will be applied to address our scientific goal, like: obesity mouse models and transgenic mice, positron emission tomography analyses, protein and gene analyses, histology and immunohistochemistry, cell culture studies and cell function assays. The research doctorate will have the chance to apply for the “Interdisciplinary Program of Molecular Medicine” at the Center of Molecular Medicine Cologne (CMMC), a joint Program of the faculty of medicine and the faculty of mathematics and natural sciences. This interdisciplinary program with an excellent international reputation in research and education in the area of "Molecular Medicine" does not only cover both research and complementary skills, but also offers individual mentoring by senior scientists in addition to the principal investigator of the research project. More information is available on http://www.zmmk.uni-koeln.de/ipmm/index_eng.html.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working on the research project focused on mechanisms of cytokine mediated placental damage in our mouse model of maternal obesity
- Examine whether a nutritional intervention, maternal exercise or a direct block of inflammatory cytokines during pregnancy in obese mice prevents vascular alterations in the placenta
- Functional studies to assess the placental transfer capacity using the positron emission tomography technique
- Morphometric placenta analysis, immunohistochemical and immunofluorescence studies
- Study the influence of cytokines on placental endothelial and trophoblast cells in vitro
- Analyse human placenta samples from obese patients
- Working in collaboration with an international team under supervision and leadership of the PI
- Publishing original research papers
- MSc degree in biology, molecular life sciences or a related field
- A strong interest in placenta development and applied biology
- Candidates with experience in animal handling are preferred
- Candidates master thesis in molecular biology and placenta biology are preferred
- Previous experience in protein analyses, immunohistochemistry and cell culture is preferred
- Candidates should be creative and capable of developing a competitive research project while working in collaboration with postdocs and other team members under the supervision of the team leader
Your salary will be based on E13 TV-L.
The Board of Directors of the University Hospital of Cologne places strong emphasis on gender equality and seeks to increase the proportional representation of women in this field. Thus applications from female scientists are welcome; suitably qualified women will be given preferential consideration unless other candidates clearly demonstrate superior qualifications.
We also welcome applications from disabled candidates, who will also be given preferential consideration over other applicants with comparable qualifications.
The position is suitable for staffing with part-time employees.
While applying for the job please refer to jobvector and use the following reference number: e035
We prefer online applications, but you also have the opportunity to apply via regular mail until 21. February 2016 quoting the reference number e035 to
Klinik und Poliklinik für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin
Dr. Sarah Appel
Further information is available on the internet at http://kinderklinik.uk-koeln.de/de/zentrum-fuer-paediatrische-forschung-koeln/grundlagen-translationale-forschung/perinatale-programmierung/plazentare-stoerungen/placental-dysfunction
About Uniklinik Köln
Als modernes Krankenhaus der Maximalversorgung zählen wir zu den führenden Universitätskliniken Deutschlands. Unsere 6.800 Beschäftigten bieten in mehr als 59 leistungsstarken Kliniken, Fachzentren und Instituten eine optimale Patientenversorgung und eine professionelle Aus-, Fort- und Weiterbildung. Mit rund 1.300 Betten sind wir eines der größten...More about Uniklinik Köln