As a modern maximum-care hospital with a capacity of approximately 1,540 beds, the University Hospital of Cologne is dedicated to the practice of innovative academic medical excellence. At the Faculty of Medicine 1,800 scientists are engaged in research, ranging from basic sciences to clinical application, as well as teaching and health care. Together with the University Hospital Cologne the faculty maintains 58 clinics, research institutes and centres. 3,400 students study in this dynamic and innovative environment. The Faculty of Medicine and the University Hospital Cologne are embedded in the scientifically highly active Rhine region. They have strong contacts to and alliances with the surrounding universities and non-university research institutions guaranteeing scientific excellence in research and teaching.
The Mildred Scheel School of Oncology (MSSO) Cologne-Bonn is seeking applications for up to 10
Postdoc Researcher / Physician Scientist (f/m/x)
full-time, to be employed under a limited-time contract of 2,5 years with the opportunity to gain a Dr. nat. med. if prerequisites are fulfilled. We are seeking to equally allocate the positions between the MSSO sites in Cologne and Bonn. Starting date is within 6 months of acceptance. (WissZeitVG with third-party funding).
The MSSO Cologne-Bonn is a program of excellence together within the cancer centre CIO (Centrum für Integrierte Onkologie) for the promotion of young researchers in translational oncology and funded by the German Cancer Aid (Deutsche Krebshilfe).
The schools dual training strategy aims to promote a new generation of translational cancer researchers and offers physicians and life science postgraduates an excellent opportunity to further their academic career in the field of translational oncology. The MSSO Cologne-Bonn is built on expertise at both sites in cancer genomics, computational biology, tumour immunology and genotype-stratified drug-design. The postgraduate program is flanked by a modular curriculum "Molecular Cancer Genomics and Drug Development”. Once enrolled in the program, the candidates will choose a hosting laboratory (medical faculty or faculty of natural sciences), or a hosting study group (GCLLSG (https://www.ghsg.org/), NCFT (familiaerer-brust-und-eierstockkrebs), LCGC (lungcancergroup), NOA (Neuroonkologie).
- Successful candidates will complete a competitive project in translational cancer research related to the above-mentioned fields
- Candidates will participate in the modular curriculum, mentoring program, seminars, workshops and soft-skill classes, as well as international conferences
- Oral presentation of data is expected, as well as in publication
- Contribute to the supervision and mentoring of undergraduate and PhD students
- The close interaction within the MSSO network provides a unique opportunity for scientists interested in interdisciplinary work and lateral thinking
- Candidates must hold a PhD or MD degree with above-average scientific qualifications
- The MSSO seeks to appoint outstanding, highly qualified candidates
- Candidates should be interested in working in an interdisciplinary team and be able to establish fruitful collaborations at the interface of different research institutes and research groups
- Besides creativity, a strong ability for problem solving through analytical thinking combined with an enthusiasm for scientific research and oncology is a must
- Strong organization and time management skills will be very useful
- Additionally, we expect strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills, fluent English and the ability for teamwork
- A varied and challenging position in a team-oriented and friendly working atmosphere
Have we awakened your interest?Please submit your application (including a detailed CV, list of publications, two references and a brief statement of research interests) online at
We prefer online applications, but you also have the opportunity to apply via regular mail:
Please address enquiries to Dr. Viktoria Linne by telephone at +49 221 478-30759.
Further information is available on the internet.